The Skagit County Clerk's Office has been designated an Approved Passport Acceptance Facility. If you need to apply for a new passport, pick up forms to renew an existing passport, or report one as lost or stolen, we can help.
Passport processing hours are from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
An appointment is required. If you arrive late, your appointment is forfeited.
** Drop ins for active military members accepted daily between 8:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
To facilitate the application process, please be prepared to spend at least 30 minutes in our office, and have the following items with you:
EVERY person, regardless of age MUST appear in person to obtain a passport.
- Proof of citizenship:
- Certified Birth Certificate (no photo copies); previous US Passport; Naturalization Certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad; OR Certificate of Citizenship.
- Proof of identity: Previous US Passport; Certificate of Citizen ship; Naturalization Certificate; current & valid driver's license; or current military, government, ID.
- Social Security Number: This is required by the State Department. No passports will be issued without this number
- TWO passport photos. These must be identical 2"x2" Color only. No snap shots. No School pictures.
- The application fee. Fees are payable in check or money order only - No Cash or Credit/Debit Cards.
If the applicant is a child under the age of 16, both parents, or the child’s legal guardian(s) must appear with the child and present:
- Evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship.
- Evidence of the child’s relationship to parents/guardian(s), AND
- Parental identification.
US Passport Book Adults (age 16 and over)
- First Time $130, plus $35 execution fee. (These fees are separate and should not be included on one check/money order)
- Minors (under age 16) $100, plus $35 execution fee. (These fees are separate and should not be included on one check/money order)
- Adults (applying with DS-82) Renewal $130 , no execution fee, for a total of $130. (These are not done onsite but are mailed in by the customer.)
US Passport Card Adults (age 16 and over)
- First Time $30, plus $35 execution fee. (These fees are separate and should not be included on one check/money order)
- Minors (under age 16) $15, plus $35 execution fee. (These fees are separate and should not be included on one check/money order)
- Adults (applying with DS-82) Renewal $30, no execution fee, for a total of $30. (These are not done on-site but are mailed in by the customer.)
The passport card is designed for the specific needs of border resident communities and is not a globally inter-operable travel document as is the traditional passport book. The passport book is the appropriate travel document for most international travel.
Execution fee paid by credit/debit card, cash or money order only Payable to Skagit County Clerk. No personal checks.
Passport applications, forms and information are available at Travel.State.Gov or at the kiosk outside the Clerk’s Office, 1st floor of County Courthouse, 205 W. Kincaid, Room 103, Mount Vernon, WA
For a renewal (we have the forms, you complete and mail) you must be able to answer “yes” to all of the following four questions. If you cannot answer “yes” to all four questions, you must complete a new application (see above).
- Can you submit your most recent U.S. passport, to be sent in with the renewal?
- Were you at least 16 years old when your most recent U.S. passport was issued?
- Was your most recent U.S. passport issued less than 15 years ago?
- Do you use the same name as on your most recent U.S. passport? Or, can you submit proper documentation (marriage license, or court order) to reflect your name change?
In addition, you will need:
Expedite Processing Fee- Book or Card - $60
1-2 Day Delivery Return Fee - Book Only - $18.32
Per the U.S. Department of State your passport and original documents will be returned to you in approximately 11 weeks. Expedited service is available for an additional $60 per passport and could take up to 7 weeks
Department of State Fee Chart
*Photographs must be sufficiently recent to be a good likeness of you, 2x2 inches in size, and with a light background. It must be taken in normal street attire, without a hat or dark glasses. Do not wear camouflage. There are several places in Mount Vernon that take passport specific photos and will know the requirements.
For more information please visit the U.S.
Department of State Passport Services and Information or contact us at 360.416.1800